(GAs for short) I just finished my second book of the week: Eternal by Cynthia Leitch Smith. It was about a girl and her guardian angel. I could go into the details, but I get embarresed when I try to explain my fantasy novels... I shouldn't be, so hey- I'll write it anyways. Because her angel showed himself to protect her when she was meant to die, she was taken by vampires (yes, yes, I know) and turned. She loses touch with her soul, and her GA is stripped of his powers (a fallen angel). His mission is to save her soul. I'll keep the ending to myself, in case anyone out there has good taste in books. I liked the book, though at times it smacked of Twilight, especially when the girl, Miranda, decided to "fast" and drink pig's blood instead of human blood. But then, I feel bad for the author. Twilight must have been a slap in the face when she read some similar ideas to her own in it. Poor Cynthia, I feel for you.
But anyway, my reason for posting was how the GAs were portrayed in the book. Everyone has one, and they watch over you at all times (and I mean at ALL times, which would be disturbing). They are allowed to only interfere indirectly: influence, creating a distraction, ext. I took to the idea, like I often do in the middle of my reading fevers. Imagine for a moment that you have your very own angel. Right there... ha! Did you look over your shoulder? I really like the idea of it. Comforting, and for the moment I believe in them. Despite my rather uncertain view on religion at all, I can't help it. I have an angel. It would be amazing, having someone there for you but unnoticable, and invisible ally for life. But creepy, too. Did I mention in the book the angel sees everything? He fell in love with his girl (not normal angel behavior) and once said "Shower times were my favorite." Ever been in a situation you wouldn't want a messenger of God to be there for? Uh... you get the point.
So a guardian angel. Cool idea, a little creepy, but cool.
